Life throws you a curve ball
In the form of snow
On a Saturday.
Plans are cancelled,
And everyone is home
At the same time
And before you realize it,
You have a moment to catch your breath.
There are a few precious hours
With real conversation,
And full sentences
Without weird, shortcut acronyms
There is magic in the sound of laughter
And in the crackling fire.
The scent of vanilla, maple, and rum,
Summons all to the kitchen,
And we eat,
Talking with our mouths full,
Grateful for the unexpected gift
This is a no-fuss, one bowl waffle recipe of the 'no yeast' variety, which is
perfect for me, because I am not one to plan ahead.
It includes Daisy Flour, locally milled in Lancaster County. Their pastry flour is the secret to tender waffles.
You can substitute an unbleached cake flour.
Dust off the waffle iron and get it nice and hot. No matter how non-stick your waffle iron claims to be, it's not. Your waffles are going to stick. Spray that sucker with non-stick cooking spray or brush it with veggie oil. Now your waffle iron is non-stick.
While the waffles are cooking, slice up a few ripe bananas.
Then give them a dip in a bowl of brown sugar.
Heat the bananas in a pan with a few tablespoons of butter. It only takes minutes to go from an ordinary banana to knock-your-socks-off sizzling banana perfection.
I add a little rum to warmed maple syrup to take these waffles to the next level of deliciousness. If you don't want to use rum, a little vanilla would be also be nice.
Pour the warm syrup over the waffles and caramelized bananas. Add a handful of pecans for added crunch.
Just before the last bite of waffle, I disappear into another room because it is a house rule that the last one in the kitchen, does the dishes.
Maple Rum Banana recipe ~ my own)
1 ¼ cup pastry flour or 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ cup cornstarch
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 ripe bananas, sliced
½ cup light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons pure rum extract or 2 tablespoons rum
1 teaspoon vanilla
handful of pecans, about ½ cup (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron to medium/high setting.
- Place flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Stir.
- Whisk together the egg, buttermilk, butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients. Whisk until just combined.
- Spray waffle iron with nonstick spray. Cook batter in batches until dark golden brown.
- Coat banana slices in brown sugar.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium/high heat. Add butter and cook until melted. Add banana slices. Cook for 1 minute per side or until dark golden brown. Remove bananas to a plate.
- Add any remaining brown sugar to the hot skillet along with the maple syrup. Stir. Cook for 2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat. Add rum and vanilla. Stir.
Serve waffles with warm bananas and syrup. Sprinkle with pecans for extra crunch.
Yields 4 jumbo waffles or 6-8 regular size waffles.